Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday School Nugget - Don't Worry About It


This morning to kick off the Sunday School hour at church I did a little nugget (mini-sermon) on worry. I was supposed to do a nugget last week for Mother's Day but I was out of town and switched with one of the men at church. I wouldn't have done this particular message if I'd done it last week, so God knew what was best. This particular subject is a passionate one for me; I always enjoy hearing messages preached on the passages I'm referencing today. I'll be honest, I remember very very few of the chapel messages I sat in on at Emmaus. But, I remember one very well that Khellan Fletcher did during student chapel on Philippians 4:6-7, and the quote (from George Muller) that he used during it. And that provided some inspiration for my nugget today. I hope it's a blessing and a challenge to you like it is me!
P.S. I wore my green duct tape tie like I have one or two other times at church. It was a big hit.

If you can't listen to the audio based on the above embedded player, then click here for the actual file.

 Nugget on Worry (Outline)

Brother Holliday asked me awhile ago what I was doing my nugget on, and I told him “Don’t worry about it.” That’s the subject of my nugget today.

In America, we’re mainly worried about materialism. Jesus addressed that head-on in Matthew 6 and Luke 12. Read Luke 12:22-31. Focus on vv. 25-26, 28.

Jesus called them “O ye of little faith”. Worrying demonstrates a lack of faith in God, both in how He provides for us and how He guides us. And that’s not good.

Romans 14:23b, “for whatsoever is not of faith is sin”.

George Muller was an evangelist in the 1800’s and a great man of faith who cared for over 10,000 orphans in his lifetime. One of his quotes has really stuck with me since the first time I heard it: “Faith ends where worry begins, and worry ends where faith begins.” Worry robs your joy.

Do you want peace in your life? Do you want joy?

Philippians 4:6-7, same Greek word (careful) as in Luke (take thought). Notice certain words in this passage: “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” (emphasis added)

1 Peter 5:7: “Casting all your care [anxieties, worries] upon him; for he careth for you.”

Lots of what-if’s in life. My question: What if, instead of using our energy to worry about the past, present, or future, we actually prayed and took EVERYTHING to God? What if we actually thanked and praised God for what He’s done and what He will do? If we do these things, we have a promise from Philippians 4:7 – “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus”

There is NO ONE better in this life that we can trust. Remember the exhortation of Hebrews 13:5 “Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” God is faithful, and He is good, ALL THE TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment